Series X - Convalescent Facilities and Medical Programs, 1885-1965, inclusive
The materials in this series are arranged in 2 subseries:
X.1 The Sick Children's Mission/Medical Bureau/Medical Department - Chronological
X.2 Convalescent Facilities -Alphabetical.
Both subseries include volumes interfiled with boxes. The boxed materials in both subseries include correspondence, reports, referral cards, and pamphlets. Two folders have been separated to an oversized (OS) box, noted in the container list.
History of CAS Medical Programs
The Children's Aid Society began its Sick Children's Mission in 1873. In this program, CAS physicians, nurses, and "visitors" called on poor, sick children in their tenement homes, dispensed medicine and food, instructed mothers on nutrition and other matters, and referred children to CAS convalescent facilities outside the city. The series includes reports by these visitors, and some referral and physician's recommendation cards. It also includes reports, pamphlets, volumes, and correspondence related to the convalescent facilities of the CAS to which children were referred.
The Summer Home at Bath Beach Long Island was built in 1882, and served sick and disabled ("crippled") children. The Health Home at Coney Island was founded in 1884 and served poor mothers with children under six years old. The Elizabeth Milbank Anderson Home in Chappaqua, NY began operation in 1909 (originally called the Chappaqua Convalescent Home), and enabled the Sick Children's Mission to operate throughout the year, not just as a summer charity. Kinderfold in New Hamburg NY was a small program founded in 1915 for convalescing boys over 12. The Goodhue Home in Staten Island for girls was also used in part as a girls' Kinderfold facility from 1919. The Sick Children's Mission also organized day trips taking children out of the city, such as the Astor Day Excursions funded by Mr. and Mrs. Vincent Astor beginning in 1913 and operating through the 1930s, and the Rockefeller Excursions.
In 1920 the Sick Children's Mission was renamed the Medical Bureau, and then renamed the Medical Department in 1929. Dr. Charles Conklin became Superintendent of the Sick Children's Mission beginning in 1907 and retired as Director of the Medical Department in 1940. Although the leadership remained constant and the convalescent homes and day excursions continued as before, the name change represented a shift toward a more centralized and coordinated healthcare mission extended throughout CAS facilities. In 1924 Conklin instituted a campaign against malnutrition in CAS facilities, the same year that CAS industrial schools were rechristened health schools. The same year, a convalescent home for boys 8-16 was established in Valhalla, NY, soon known as the Milbank and Martha Homes, and the Elizabeth Milbank Anderson Home in Chappaqua was re-purposed for girls and boys under 8. Kinderfold in New Hamburg was renamed Grinnell Home for Convalescent Boys in 1934. Volumes from Kinderfold and Grinnell are both represented in this series, arranged under separate names.
Related Material in Other Series
See also Series III.2(folders 20 and 21) for other reports and pamphlets by Conklin, and Series IV.1.D (Arthur Huck Correspondence) and IV.4.C (mixed correspondence) for correspondence from Conklin, and Series V.2 and V.3 for a memoir by Conklin and an interview of him on the history of CAS medical services.
Subseries X.1 - The Sick Children's Mission/Medical Bureau/Medical Department - Chronological, 1887-1940, inclusive
Scope and Contents
This subseries consists of two volumes, and one box of documents, produced by the Sick Children's Mission, Medical Bureau, and Medical Department, arranged chronologically 1887-1940. The materials include, but are not limited to, reports, correspondence, one account book, one narrative volume, and cards and pamphlets distributed to patients and the public.
typescript and photocopy of 1887 NY Times articles on Bartholdi Creche, 1887 July, August
Sick Children's Mission Narrative Record, 1893, inclusive
Sick Children's Mission Account Book, 1894-1907, inclusive
Annual Report of the Sick Children's Mission, by George Calder, Superintendent, 1904, inclusive
Report of the work of the Sick Children's Mission 1904, handwritten, author unknown, 1905, inclusive
Annual Report of the Sick Children's Mission, draft typescript, author unknown, 1906, inclusive
Report on the work of the Sick Children's Mission [by Edith Macrith], handwritten, 1907 July and August
Report on Sick Children's Mission suggesting its work be year-round, not just summer, author unknown [Charles Conklin?], undated, pre-1907
Report on the work of the Sick Children's Mission in the summer of 1909, 1909 October 1
Reports (cases) by Angela P. Schultz and Miss Smith, 1910 July 29 and August 31
Reports (cases) by visitors T.R. Mackinley and E.E. Jason, 1910 August
Report of visitor L.A. Runyon re: fresh air work and statistics for Harlem, 1910 August 31
Report of Sullivan Street Station for season of 1910 by E.R. [Cahom] M.D., 1910, inclusive
Reports (cases) by L.A. Runyon, circa 1910 July and August
Report of summer work 1911 by Mary Butterworth, M.D., 1911 August 31
Annual report of the Sick Children's Mission - draft typescript, circa 1911
Letters from other organizations to Charles Conklin praising CAS convalescent care, 1913-1921, inclusive
Reports (cases) by visitor Constance B. [Turner], undated, pre-1920
Reports (cases) by unknown visitors, undated, pre-1920
Draft of a report on the benefits of fresh air work/Sick Children's Mission, undated, pre-1920
"The work of the Sick Children's Mission of the Children's Aid Society" by [Louise Hutchenson] M.D., handwritten, undated, pre-1920
The Sick Children's Mission - draft typescript of report with call for contributions, author unknown, undated, pre-1920
Sick Children's Mission - Information cards in English and German (2 different cards), undated, pre-1920
Sick Children's Mission Nutrition Program - Physician's Order Card, undated, pre-1920
Annual Report of the Medical Bureau 1922-1923 by Charles Conklin, 1923 October 17
Announcement re: campaign against malnutrition, 1924 August 9
Letters from other organizations to Charles Conklin, praising CAS convalescent care, 1925-1930 and undated
Medical Bureau pamphlet (instructional): "Are You a Good Mother?" 3 copies, in English, Italian, Polish, circa 1920's
Pamphlet (for clients): Milk Drive (in Hebrew), circa 1920's
Page from a pamphlet on nutrition and healthy habits (photocopy), circa 1920's
Letters from a boy, and from parents of boys, at Milbank Home, forwarded to Margaret Fellows, publicity director of CAS, by Charles Conklin, 1928 and 1930
Medical statistics by center, 1931 January
Medical statistics by center, 1931 February
Medical statistics by center, 1931 March
Medical statistics by center, 1931 April
Medical statistics by center, 1931 May
Medical statistics by center, 1931 June
Medical statistics by center, 1931 July
Medical statistics by center, 1931 August
Medical statistics by center, 1931 September
Annual medical statistics by center, 1931, inclusive
Medical statistics by center and month, 1932, 1936, 1937
Outline for report on history and necessity of CAS Medical Department work (typescript), 1934, inclusive
Report on the functions of the Medical Department historically and in the present, author unknown, typescript, final pages missing, circa 1935
Annual report of the Medical Department 1936 by Charles Conklin, 1937 February 18
Annual report of the Medical Department 1939 by Charles Conklin, 1940, inclusive
Subseries X.2 - Convalescent Facilities, Alphabetical, 1885-1965, inclusive
Scope and Contents
This subseries consists of eleven volumes, one small box of materials, and two folders housed in a separate oversize (OS) box, related to CAS convalescent facilities, 1885-1965, arranged in the following order: Elizabeth Milbank Anderson Home, Grinnell Home for Convalescent Boys, Health Home at Coney Island, Kinderfold, Milbank Home for Convalescent Boys, and mixed convalescent facilities. The boxed materials include cards for patients and the public, pamphlets, correspondence, reports, property surveys, and some internal documents.
Two volumes of registers (571 for the Anderson Home and 572 for the Milbank Home) were added to the collection by archivist Larry Weimer in July 2018.