Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute collection
Language of Materials
A collection of materials from the Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute, founded in 1854, and the institutions that subsequently grew from it: the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn (later the Polytechnic Institute of New York and then Polytechnic University) and Polytechnic Preparatory (Poly Prep).
The Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute was founded in 1854 and was the first all-boys school in Brooklyn. Located at 99 Livingston Street in the neighborhood of Brooklyn Heights, the Institute offered both preparatory and college level programs designed to be comparable to the most distinguished boarding schools of the day. By 1890, the Institute's Board of Trustees had decided to separate the preparatory and collegiate programs into two different schools, and in 1891 a new facility was constructed next to the Institute's original building to house the college, which took on the name of the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn. The preparatory program, which became the Polytechnic Preparatory School, remained at 99 Livingston Street.
Over time, the two schools took on increasingly distinctive and separate identities. The Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn became a renowned college of engineering, and by the mid-20th century had become a coeducational institution. Throughout the late 20th and early 21st centuries, the Institute underwent several name changes, the first occurring in 1973 with the adoption of the name of the Polytechnic Institute of New York. A little over a decade later, the Institute was renamed Polytechnic University. This name endured until 2008, when the Institute became affiliated with New York University and became the Polytechnic Institute of New York University (NYU). In 2014, the Institute merged completely with New York University and became known as the New York University Polytechnic School of Engineering. In 2015, it was renamed the New York University Tandon School of Engineering, often known simply as NYU Tandon. The school is located at Six Metrotech Center in Downtown Brooklyn, where it offers undergraduate and graduate degrees in several science disciplines, with a focus on engineering.
The Polytechnic Preparatory School relocated in 1916 to a 25-acre plot of land in the Brooklyn neighborhood of Dyker Heights, where it became incorporated as the Polytechnic Preparatory Country Day School, commonly known as Poly Prep. At its Dyker Heights location, Poly Prep grew into one of Brooklyn's most esteemed private schools, and in the 1970s became a coeducational institution. In the 1990s, the School acquired property in the Brooklyn neighborhood of Park Slope, which it converted into the Poly Prep Lower School, a center of primary education. As of 2023, the School continues to offer private educational programs spanning early childhood through the twelfth grade at its Dyker Heights and Park Slope locations.
- Poly Prep Country Day School. "History." Accessed November 23, 2010. http://www.polyprep.org/podium/default.aspx?t=112862
- Polytechnic Institute of New York University. "Rich History." Accessed November 23, 2010. http://www.poly.edu/about/past-present-future/history
Scope and Contents
The Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute collection contains annual reports, catalogues, yearbooks, journals, periodicals, and printed ephemera. These items document the Institute from near to the time of its founding well through the period when its collegiate and preparatory programs were separated and developed into the Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn and the Polytechnic Preparatory Country Day School.
Conditions Governing Access
Open to researchers without restriction.
Conditions Governing Use
While many items at the Center for Brooklyn History are unrestricted, we do not own reproduction rights to all materials. Be aware of the several kinds of rights that might apply: copyright, licensing and trademarks. The researcher assumes all responsibility for copyright questions.
Identification of item, date (if known); Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute collection, 1985.055, Box and Folder number; Brooklyn Public Library, Center for Brooklyn History.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Portions of this collection were the gifts of the Board of Trustees of the Brooklyn Collegiate and Polytechnic Institute, 1883 and 1893; Cornell University, 2011; Mr. and Mrs. Schuyler Bergen, date unknown; and William Jerome Cosgrove, date unknown.
The 1854 stock certificate was the gift of Cornell University.
Materials from Polytechnic University, the two printed images of Poly Prep Country Day School, and assorted other materials were transferred from the Brooklyn ephemera collection (BCMS.0007) and the Brooklyn Collection clippings files in 2023.
The 1905 alumni association dinner program was the gift of the Montauk Club as part of Brooklyn Collection accession 2016.0011.
Sources and dates of acquisition for the remaining items in the collection are unknown. The bulk of the collection was formally accessioned in 1985.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
If digital surrogates exist, they should be used in place of the originals whenever possible.
About this Guide
Originally minimally processed to the series level, this collection was reprocessed to the file level in 2023 and additional found-in-collection material was added, along with material from the Brooklyn ephemera collection (BCMS.0007) and the Brooklyn Collection clippings files. The collection was also completely rehoused at that time.
An 1854 stock certificate, gift of Cornell University, was added to the collection in 2014.