Skip to main content Skip to main navigation

Ryerson family papers and photographs

Call Number

ARC.095

Date

1700 to 1949, inclusive

Creator

Ryerson family

Extent

1.75 Linear Feet
in two manuscript boxes, one oversize box, and two flat file folders.

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Ryerson family papers and photographs contain deeds, wills, invoices, receipts, account books, architectural records, tax records, genealogical notes, minutes, maps, and photographs relating to the Ryerson family of Brooklyn. The collection spans the 18th, 19th, and early 20th centuries with the bulk of the collection from the 19th century.

Biographical note

The Ryerson family of Brooklyn descended from early Dutch settlers who immigrated to New Netherland as early as 1623. Marten Ryerson first came to New Amsterdam around 1647. He arrived with his brother Adriaen and they settled in Flatbush, now a neighborhood in Brooklyn. The Ryerson brothers operated a large farm that ran along what is now Flatbush Avenue.

On May 14, 1663, Marten Ryerson married Annetje Joris de Rapelje in the Protestant Dutch Reformed Church of Brooklyn. Annetje was the daughter of Joris Jansen de Rapelje and Catalina de Rapelje (nee Tricot). The Rapeljes were one of the first Dutch families to settle in Fort Orange in 1623. Fort Orange was one of the two original Dutch trading posts that were located in what is now Albany, N.Y. From Fort Orange, the Rapelje family moved first to New Amsterdam and then across Wallabout Bay, now Upper New York Bay, to Wallabout, the area of land extending eastward into Brooklyn from Wallabout Bay. Today, Wallabout would include the DUMBO and Vinegar Hill neighborhoods of Brooklyn. In addition to being the first area settled by Europeans in Brooklyn, Wallabout was also the site of the first ferry landing between Manhattan and Brooklyn in 1637.

Several generations later, John and Jacob Ryerson inherited family farmland in Wallabout. The brothers also owned farmland in Flatlands on New Lots Road near Kings Highway. Also, a Ryerson family homestead was located on what is now the Parade Grounds in Prospect Park.

Variations of the Ryerson family name include Adriance, Martense, Ryers, and Ryerse.

Sources:

  1. Ryerson, Albert Winslow. The Ryerson genealogy: genealogy and history of the Knickerbocker families of Ryerson, Ryerse, Ryerss; also Adriance and Martense families; all descendants of Martin and Adriaen Reyerz (Reyerszen), of Amsterdam, Holland. Chicago: Privately printed for E.L. Ryerson, 1916.
  2. Ryerson, Louis Johnes. The Genealogy of the Ryerson Family in America, 1646-1902. New York: Jenkins & McCowan, 1902.

Arrangement

This collection is arranged into three series:

- Series 1: Ryerson family papers, 1700 to 1949

- Series 2: Ryerson family photographs, circa 1900 to 1920s

- Series 3: Ryerson family maps, 1832-1935

Scope and Contents note

The Ryerson family papers and photographs contain deeds, wills, invoices, receipts, account books, architectural records, tax records, genealogical notes, minutes, maps, and photographs relating to the Ryerson family of Brooklyn. The collection spans the 18th and 19th centuries with the bulk of the collection from the 19th century. John and Jacob Ryerson inherited family farmland in Wallabout. The brothers also owned farmland in Flatlands on New Lots Road near Kings Highway. Also, a Ryerson family homestead was located on what is now the Parade Grounds in Prospect Park. Variations of the Ryerson family name include Adriance, Martense, Ryers, and Ryerse.

Conditions Governing Access

Open to researchers without restriction.

Conditions Governing Use

While many items at the Center for Brooklyn History are unrestricted, we do not own reproduction rights to all materials. Be aware of the several kinds of rights that might apply: copyright, licensing and trademarks. The researcher assumes all responsibility for copyright questions.

Preferred Citation

Identification of item, date (if known); Ryerson family papers and photographs, ARC.095, Box and Folder number; Center for Brooklyn History, Brooklyn Public Library.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of William Navin, 1994.

Separated Materials note

Some maps from accession 1994.018 were removed and cataloged in the map collection at some point, but there is no record of the transfer. Below are the title and call numbers of those three maps:

1. "Map of the town of Flatlands, Kings Co., N.Y. [as of] 1873" by C.B.S. Ryerson 1958. Current location: BP-1873 (1959). Fl

2. "Map of the Town of Flatbush [as of] 1873" by C.V.S. Ryerson. Current location: B P-1873 (1946) Fl.F

3. "Map of Hunterfly Farm in the 9th Ward in the City of Brooklyn..." 1850. Current location: B P-1850a. Fl

Collection processed by

Patricia Glowinski

About this Guide

This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2026-03-16 20:51:18 +0000.
Using Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language: Finding aid written in English

Processing Information note

Minimally processed to the series level.

This collection combines the accessions 1994.017, 1994.018, and V1995.018.

Additional content contributed by Emily Reynolds (January 2011) and John Zarrillo (December 2014).

Repository

Center for Brooklyn History
Center for Brooklyn History
128 Pierrepont Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201